Pasta Toscana is a hearty Italian dish that combines mushrooms, red peppers, artichokes, proscuitto and fontina cheese for a flavor in every bite.
1 lb. boneless chicken breast cut in bite-sized pieces
1/2 c. sherry wine
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 medium onion, chopped
12 oz. mushrooms, sliced
2 red peppers, diced
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes (to taste)
1 14-oz. can diced stewed tomatoes
1 pkg. frozen artichoke hearts
1 c. light cream
1/2 lb. thinly slices prosciutto, cut into small strips
6 oz. fontina cheese, grated
1/4 c. romano cheese
1 lb. penne macaroni
- Combine salt, pepper and flour on a plate or in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- Add olive oil to a sautee pan over medium heat. Place chicken in pan, leaving space in between pieces to allow them to brown more easily. Turn chicken over and brown other side. Remove browned chicken pieces and set aside. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Add garlic, onion and red pepper to pan and sautee until onion is translucent.
- Add mushrooms, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and hot pepper. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are softened.
- Add sherry, tomatoes, cream and artichokes. Return chicken to pan and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Bring pot of water to a boil for the past.
- Cook sauce for approximately 10 minutes on low heat. Add prosciutto.
- Cook pasta until al dente (firm) texture and drain. Add pasta to sauce and heat for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in fontina and romano cheese.
Sprinkle top with parsley and serve with crusty Italian bread.