Minestrone soup can be made with many different combinations of vegetables. We have so many to choose from here at Giunta’s Meat Farms that you never have to make minestrone soup the same way twice!
1 onion finely diced
3 cloves garlic crushed and finely chopped
1 yellow squash, finely diced
2 peeled carrots, diced
3 potatoes, peeled and diced.
1 cup cut string beans
1 15.5 oz. can cannellini beans
1 15.5 oz. can chick peas
1 cup tomato sauce
2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
4 cans 14.5 oz. chicken broth
3 chicken bullion cubes
1 lb. ditalini or other small pasta for soup
1/2 cup grated romano cheese
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley
- Add a few tablespoons of olive oil to the bottom of a large pot. Add onions and carrots, cover and cook 5 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add garlic, potatoes, squash, string beans and salt. Cover and allow vegetables to sweat.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, bullion, beans and seasonings. Let simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in 1/2 cup romano cheese.
- In another large pot, bring lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to directions. Drain pasta and add to soup.
Serve with an additional sprinkle of romano cheese on top and crusty Italian bread.